Sunday 27 May 2012

A wander in the footsteps of Burns

It's been a fantastic week in Perthshire and we've eaten al fresco every evening since last weekend - a feat previously so unheard of that by Friday evening my children were asking to eat indoors for a change - not a chance, this might be the only Summer we get! 

Having packed off son number one on a Duke of Edinburgh's expedition yesterday morning, I found myself worrying about hydration levels, sunburn and heatstroke, rather than wet clothes and chills, but he's home this evening having experienced two glorious days hillwalking in Highland Perthshire with no need for a jacket at all.  I feel slightly envious of him, only as far as the scenery though - not the backpack! 

He won't mind me sharing this photo - the scenery is simply stunning and well worth the climb!

Meanwhile, having dropped off hubby and son number two for a kayaking trip down the Tay from Aberfeldy to Grandtully, I was left with three hours of quality time with my youngest.

Having initially made tracks for Kenmore and Loch Tay, we had an ice cream at the Courtyard before deciding it was too busy to stay by Loch Tay. A quick return drive brought us back to Aberfeldy where we parked and took a walk into the town centre where we bought some nibbles for lunch.  Ever the well prepared mother that I am, I left the house with a bottle of juice, suntan lotion and a bottle of water for the dog - no food whatsoever!

The venue for our spur of the moment picnic - The Birks of Aberfeldy.  

I should have taken the shrugged shoulders from my daughter at the mention of "shall we go for a walk?" as an indication of the mood she was in, but I was up for a walk with the dog and that meant she was going too!

Come, let us spend the lightsome days
For me, the glistening of sunlight through leaves and the sound of rushing water is all the incentive I need for a walk and we quickly ascended the path, having chosen to take the anti-clockwise route on this circular walk.  A well worn path leads upwards through the Birks.  The name Birks means birch trees, however, the lower woodland is mainly beech - beautiful with their fresh leaves whispering in the gentle breeze.

A steady climb up this path means you're above the scenery of the ravine, so the sound of rumbling water serves to entice you upwards towards the Upper Falls of Moness at the far end of the walk.  A few hundred metres below the Falls, we were presented with this lovely view of Strathtay below, with Ben Vrackie beyond - all the more special with sunshine and clear skies.
Strathtay and Ben Vrackie
My dear daughter is protesting by this stage - the dog has been restricted to the lead for fear of the drop and she keeps doubling back for a sniff.  The problem lies with the fact that she never fails to return by the opposite direction, resulting in "extending lead rope burns" to the back of unsuspecting legs.  Furthermore, she has a headache... and her legs are sore (the daughter, not the dog... she never complains!) 

I carry on, determined to reach the top, telling her it will be worth it when we get there!

At last, I see the bridge peeking through the trees - a welcome sight for me, Nirvana for my daughter!

The upper falls are simply stunning and can only really be appreciated once we're over the bridge and heading down the other side.
The braes ascend like lofty wa's,
The foaming stream deep-roaring, fa's
Instantly, the mood has changed in camp - she's smiling at last... it's all downhill from here!  

Now simmer blinks on flow'ry braes

And o'er the crystal streamlets plays,
Now, whilst the impressive views of the falls and ravine are seen from this side of the river, this is a path with hundreds of steps, so personally I'd rather enjoy the views on the return journey, when you're not out of breath from the climb!

And so to Robert Burns , who wrote The Birks of Aberfeldie (no, that's not my spelling mistake) in 1787 and though over 200 years have past, his prose fits the place perfectly - perhaps the sun was shining that day too!

Let Fortune's gifts at random flee,
They ne'er shall draw a wish frae me.
Supremely blest wi love and thee
In the birks of Aberfeldie




Back to work tomorrow for a nice short week before a joyous five day weekend - I'm so glad I booked a holiday for Friday!

H






1 comment:

  1. Lovely post Hannah, I really enjoyed reading this.
    K x

    ReplyDelete