Tuesday 26 June 2012

Midweek Banana Cake

This "Summer" weather is frankly depressing!

As I write this, I'm looking out the window at torrential rain, thinking about putting the wood burner on to cheer me up. Other than a few lovely days early on, June has been a miserable month.



A lovely panorama - the River Tay, Smeaton's Bridge and St Matthews Church, from Norrie-Millar Walk


Such promise at the start of the month - the dog enjoying the view to Kenmore from above Falls of Acharn


Upper Falls of Acharn - I love the tree in this photo! 

Four weeks until I escape the office for my summer holiday - perfectly (accidentally) timed to coincide with the Olympics!  We're just planning a few days camping and a weekend away with my husband's family this year. It goes without saying that an improvement in the weather would be much appreciated!

We did the extended family trip for the first time last year - 23 of us camping for a long weekend - an excellent time was had by all!

This time around we're going for wigwams which I'm sure will be an interesting experience. Husband didn't want to go, since 1 - "it's not real camping" and 2 - it's not in his preferred location. However, he has eventually relented to child and sibling pressure.

Anyway, I digress - Banana cake!

I appear to have a family who no longer enjoy fresh bananas, so the only solution on a miserable Tuesday evening is Banana cake.

I've tried various recipes for banana bread and banana cake over the years, but I've now developed my own recipe based on a sponge mixture. It can adapted easily to your own preference, including dry fruit if you wish - so long as you don't vary the basic mixture too far, it will always give a light, delicious cake.

I'd say this is a cake rather than a bread, as it's a light mixture and I bake it in a 7" x 13" cake tin. Last time I made it, I topped it with a caramel frosting which was delicious, but I wasn't in the mood for icing this time.

The weight of your eggs will dictate your recipe, so weigh them (in shells) and match this weight with your margarine and caster sugar. I use slightly more than an equal measure of flour, so perhaps an extra 30g for this recipe. You can use light brown sugar if desired, which will give a slightly darker cake.

Ingredients

4 small eggs (circa 200g)
Margarine
Caster sugar (or light brown)
Self-raising flour
3 ripe bananas - mashed
Dried fruit - any - cranberries, sultanas, raisins or even tropical fruit mix is nice - around 50% of the weight of the eggs is fine.

Method

Line a 13 x 7 cake tin with grease proof paper, set oven to 160 degrees centigrade (fan assisted)

1. Cream the sugar and margarine until light and fluffy - easiest done with a food processor - my Kenwood is my best friend!
2. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, with a teaspoon of flour for each egg.
3. Add the mashed bananas, mix them in on a slow speed.
4. Pop in the remaining flour and fold in.
5. When all the flour is combined, add the dried fruit and gently combine, making sure you don't knock the air out of the mixture.
6. Empty the mixture into your prepared tin and place in the centre of your preheated oven for around 35 minutes, or until the cake is golden and firm to touch. By this stage, a cake tester should come out clean.
7. Remove from the oven, but leave in the baking tray for a little while to allow the cake to set
8. Turn out onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely



Serve plain, or add frosting as desired. 

And that's it. A simple, quick recipe to satisfy everyone's craving for cake, whilst getting rid of the bananas.


No doubt it'll be gone by the time I return home from work tomorrow - the kids finish school for the summer holidays at noon!

Let's hope the weather improves soon!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks this sounds delish - must give it a go. What a stunning view towards Kenmore, a lovely photo. The dog looks like it's on the wrong film set though and has wandered onto the Sound Of Music instead of Lassie!! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K, it was - perhaps too much so. That was the Monday bank holiday before the Jubilee, so the kids were all at school - it was wonderful. Not sure she'd have been quite as interested in the view if it hadn't been for the sheep that had disappeared out of view a few minutes before I took the photo!

      Delete